How do you design content for Product Hunt launch post?

Rohan Chaubey
34 replies
Hello Product Hunters and Makers, For those who've launched on Product Hunt before, how did you design your PH launch post assets (thumbnail, gallery images, explainer video, etc.): -- Worked with a Freelance Designer -- DIY with Canva or similar tools -- Hired a Design Agency I'd love to hear from you! P.S. Shoutout to my PH friend @ben_drain, he recently showed some of his work to me and I found it impressive. He runs a productized design agency: https://www.producthunt.com/prod... P.P.S. If you're a freelancer or agency designing graphics, drop your details in the comments. :)

Replies

Harsh Vyas
At the time of product launch, we entrust the task of designing posters, animated videos, and GIFs to our in-house team of designers. Our team consists of over 20 talented individuals skilled in UI/UX, graphic design, and illustration. You can check out their portfolio on Dribbble for an overview of their work: https://dribbble.com/7span
Bret Lawrence
A mix of both! We worked with an awesome motion designer for our video and animation assets, then we put our own gallery of static images and UI shots together in-house using Figma. Take a look at how everything came together here: https://www.producthunt.com/post...
Bret Lawrence
@michaelshver Thanks so much! It's been a true labor of love getting this product where it is today, very proud of the work our team has done so far and excited for what's to come as we enable better cash flow for more small businesses.
Ruben Boonzaaijer
I've not launched yet, but my weapon of choice is canva and youtube tutorials. I think because of tools like canva you don't need to be an experienced designer or hire one to create professional visuals.
Massimo Chieruzzi
We usually have a bunch of backgrounds templates ready in Canva and whenever we're launching, we just add screenshots and customize the copy :) I think you can do something appealing enough with very low effort, hiring a design agency is probably overkill and a waste of money.
Business Marketing with Nika
When we launched for the very first time, we did everything on our own because we were bootstrapped. So, let's guess who did everything. 😅😃
I'm making a free Product Hunt Chrome plugin so I have to be self-sufficient and design my own assets using Figma. You can tell it's a DIY job because it looks a bit rough 😅 https://www.producthunt.com/prod...
Peter Mick
Hey Rohan, I'd usually just take screenshots and use supasnap or cleanshot x to put a gradient background on it, if I have any videos I'd upload them to YT and link through :)
Hossein Yazdi
I haven't used an explainer video, however, for image assets, I fully designed them myself and took inspiration from previous launches.
Michael Shver
Initially, I went to a design agency to develop a proper brand book, and now I have a designer working on all assets according to the brand book! 🔥
I use myself with Figma (ex designer)
Wyatt Feaster
I personally had designed everything myself. As a UX designer it was pretty simple. First time around I didn’t do an explainer video but I think I will this time around! I think you could probably get away with using Canva they have tons of of good templates.
Anastasia Liamets
Our designed designed most of the things + we used Canva as a supportive platform. Plus, used AnimStats for animated GIFs.
Ben Drain
Thanks for the shoutout @rohanrecommends! There are so many great tools out there to help with designing and creating content for your brand. I'm hoping to add MotionMate to that list for those who want more of a hands-off approach. Sometimes it can be overwhelming trying to juggle everything yourself! I'm happy to partner with founders to come up with creative strategies that work best for them :)
Ben Drain
To celebrate the launch of MotionMate, I'm giving away a FREE animated video + logo animation for your product or business. There's no catch! All you have to do is leave a reply to this comment with your links and an explanation of what your product does :)
Swati Baruah
I am launching this week and I’m using static images, screenshots and an explainer video. The images were done by designers - very simple designs. I made the video in Final Cut Pro as an assignment for a video editing course I’m taking 😅
Myles Liu
Thx for posting! Learned aloooooot!
David Walker
I have never launched
Daniel Volynets
Launching soon!
I have some design background , so i used Figma. But there is nothing complicated in starting Figma from scratch, definitely a useful tool to know. As long as you have the eye for it and maybe some good reference for to start you can definitely get some nice looking results